The 2017 edition of the Best European Sommelier contest took place in Vienna, Austria, from 8 through 12 Mai 2017. The organiser is the A.S.I. (Association de la Sommellerie Internationale). The contest includes a series of challenges which brought together 37 sommeliers out of 34 European countries and 3 African countries.
For the semi finals 12 contestants gathered in Vienna with the ambition to succeed to the Jon Arvid Rosengren from Sweden who won in 2013, in Sanremo, Italy.
- Christian Jacobsen (Danemark/Denmark),
- David Biraud (France),
- Terry Kandylis (Grèce/Greece),
- Julie Dupouy (Irlande/Ireland),
- Raimonds Tomson (Lettonie/Latvia),
- Piotr Pietras (Pologne/Poland),
- Julia Scavo (Roumanie/Romania),
- Aleksandr Rassadkin (Russie/Russia),
- Jakub Pribyl (République Tchèque/Czech Republic),
- Eric Zwiebel (Royaume-Uni/United Kingdom),
- Robert Andersson (Suède/Sweden),
- Fabio Masi (Suisse/Switzerland).
Last Wednesday they faced workshops and test which led to the final selection of the finalists.
The winners of this year's competition are:
- Raimonds Tomson (Lettonie/Latvia) - Best European Sommelier
- Piotr Pietras (Pologne/Poland)
- Julia Scavo (Roumanie/Romania) - ex aequo with - David Biraud (France)