The Swiss Wine Exporter’s Association is happy to invite professionals to a walk around tasting and/or a master class presented by Michele Caimotto, in London on Monday February 27th 2017 at 67 Pall Mall in Mayfair, London.
Make Time for Swiss Wine
Switzerland is a land locked country and most of its territory is tormented and mountainous. Discover wines from stunning alpine vineyards.
If you dare to be different
The best wine lists have a few things in common. They are put together by professionals with real passion; they feature quality wines from great producers in top regions; they have rare vintages or special bottles that customers won’t find anywhere else. If you’re looking for that point of difference to make your wine list unique, look no further than Switzerland.
Like last year, we will be presenting a selection of the best Swiss wineries according to the Gault and Millau guide (see below for details), representing the 6 Swiss wine regions.
Useful information about the event
67 Pall Mall in London, SW1Y 5ES
Corner of Pall Mall and Marlborough Road Subways: Green Park or Charing Cross
Tel. +44 20 3794 2488 (only on February 27th) Our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To enjoy a comfortable tasting or master class we kindly ask you to register.
Link to the regsitration form: www.swissfinewine.ch/en/registration-london-february-2017
Date and time
Monday February 27th 2017
Doors will be open for the wakaround tasting from 11 AM to 4 PM The master class will take place from 4 PM to 5 PM
About our guest speaker Michele Caimotto
After the magic of the Orient Express, the Burj al Arab extravaganza and a couple of Michelin starred restaurants such as the Grand Hôtel Park in Gstaad and the Hotel de Ville in Crissier, Michele Caimotto now runs his own sommelier and consulting firm winerose.ch. He is familiar with the best wines and terroirs of old Europe and Swiss wines hold a particular place in his heart.
Key facts about Switzerland
Valais 33%, Vaud 25% & Geneva 10% (together known as the upper Rhône valley 68%), Eastern Switzerland 19% & Neuchâtel 5% (together part of the Rhine basin 24%) and Ticino 7% (South of the Alps).
4 main and a variety of unique local grapes
Main grapes are red Pinot Noir (27%) white Chasselas (23%), red Gamay (10%) and red Merlot (7%). Plus some indigenous grapes (15%) and international grapes (13%).
Main Swiss indigenous grapes include white Arvine 3%, red Humagne 3%, red Cornalin 3%, red Gamaret 3%, red Garanoir 1%, white Amigne 1%, white Raüschling 1%, white Completer 0.1%
True alpine wines
Switzerland for its most part is located in a mountainous climate zone (Köppen scale), characterized by warm summers and cold winters. The mountainous landscape also define the soils, which are very mineral. The level of rainfall and sun exposure differentiates the regions.
All quality wines are listed on swissfinewine.ch
Our listing reflects two major ratings by industry experts. The Gault & Millau top 100 Swiss wineries based on the overall quality of the production. The Swiss Wine Memory, which is dedicated to the promotion of old vintages.
All wineries and wines listed in our database are described in detail and there is information as to where they can be sourced. Most wineries grow wines under a Swiss label for integrated production that restricts the use of chemicals and bans pesticides; some also operate in biodynamic conditions.
Winemakers who will be present
Tentatively: Maître de Chais, Provins (Valais) JR Germanier (Valais), Robert Taramarcaz (Valais), Gialdi & Brivio (Ticino), Schlossgut Bachtobel (Thurgau), Georg Fromm (Graubünden), Domaine de Montmollin (Neuchâtel), Luc Massy (Vaud, Lavaux), Frères Dutruy (Vaud, La Côte), Domaine les Balisiers (Geneva). All wineries are part of the Gault and Millau top 100 wineries and/or the Swiss Wine Memory (top 50)
Pinot Noir, Chasselas, Gamay, Merlot, Syrah, Humagne Rouge, Cornalin, Müller Thurgau, Chardonnay, Arvine, Sauvignon Blanc, Savagnin Blanc, Amigne,
Valais, Vaud, Deutschschweiz, Geneva, Neuchâtel, Ticino, Lavaux, Chablais, Bündner Herrschaft, Klettgau, Rheintal