This walk takes you into the legend of Farinet, the famous counterfeiter who was buried in the village of Saillon. Called the Robin Hood of the Alps, he was figured as a benefactor of the poor and as a hero for the Valais folk.
You will discover the wolrd’s smallest vineyard registered, located above the village, with only three vine stocks. Each year sports, arts and politics personalities come ceremoniously work the vine. This vine for a long time belonged to Abbé Pierre who bequeathed it to the Dalai Lama, the current owner. The grape is pressed and it produces a wine that enhances a few thousand bottles sold for the benefit of good works for underprivileged children.
This walk also takes you to the footbridge of Farinet which will allow you to enjoy a breathtaking view of the valley, the vineyards, the hills and mountains that surround the valley. And if you want to learn more about the legend of Farinet, feel free to stop by the museum of counterfeit money in the village center of Saillon.
- Location: 24 minutes by bus North-East from Martigny train station, stop « Saillon, Colombeyres »
- Start: Saillon, Place Farinet
- Distance: 8 kilometers
- Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes (non stop)
- Difference in levels: 419 meters upwards and downwards
- Difficulty: moderate
- End: Saillon, Place Farinet
Points of interest
- Saillon: Counterfeit Money Museum
- Saillon: Farinet’s vine
- Saillon: Farinet’s footbridge
- Saiilon: Thermal baths
- Leytron : Le Soleil de Dugny
Hotels and B&B
- Saillon : Hôtel des Bains de Saillon
*The list is not exhaustive